[Mailman-Users] Displaying Entire Membership List

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Mon Jun 1 09:49:31 CEST 2009

On 31-May-2009, at 19:23, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> LuKreme wrote:
>> Is there anyway to have it never ever use the new (well, not new
>> anymore, I suppose) alphabetic chunks no matter what?  I'd much
>> prefer
>> 100 per page, for as many pages as it takes.
>

> It's been an RFE for some time
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/266715>.
>
> I understand that for lists of one or two hundred members, it might be
> desirable to show two to four pages of 50, but with thousands of
> members, the alphabetic chunks may be preferred.

Yep, I can see that for lists of thousands of users it might be
useful. But really, that's a tiny minority of lists.  Most mailing
lists are from a couple of dozen to a couple of hundred users.

It seems like a tiered 'chunk size' might be useful. (Under 500 users,
use x users per page, over 500 use alphabetics pages). Or, probably
the best solution, given a list of say 198 users and a chunk-size of
50, display the pages like this:

A-Fr Fu-Le Li-Ru Sa-Za
(50) (50)  (50)  (48)

assuming that users include adam at example.com and fred at example.com and Fungar at example.com
  and lee at example.com and linus at example.com and rugrat at example.com and sandy at example.com
  and zang at example.com.

> You're welcome to submit a patch.

Ah, well, yeah. That might be realistic if 1) I was a real programmer
instead of just a dabbler and 2) I spoke python.

--
Beware of the Leopard!