[Mailman-Users] Install question - was: Errors on mailman startup

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 1 21:16:43 CEST 2009

Malveeka Tewari wrote:

>Yes I meant DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.. Sorry about that
>
>Postfix seems to be working fine..
>I am able to send and recieve mails to the local users
>
>I do not have a fixed IP address. Is there anywhere I can get a free domain
>name for my laptop fr sometime ( 1 week or so) so that I can test my mailman
>setup on my laptop?

You could check out <http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/>. I am
not recommending either for or against using such a service, just
pointing it out.

>Since don't have any FQDN for my laptop, If I want to run mailman on my
>laptop what should i give the value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST ?

You can use an IP address for testing purposes if you add it to the
VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary as I indicated in my prefious reply., but you
can't actually run a real list in this way.

Note also that even with a domain name as provided by dyndns or
equivalent, many ISPs will not accept mail from such a domain.