[Mailman-Users] Not delivering to local users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 3 05:35:49 CEST 2009

rich at edj.net wrote:

>I have Fedora 10 running postfix-2.5.6-1.fc10.i386 and
>mailman-2.1.11-5.fc10.i386.

And Python >= 2.4.x I hope.

>I can send and recieve email fine. Mailman recieves all emails fine
>but only sends to remote users but not all remote users. Recipients on
>the local machine do not recieve any emails from mailman. I would like
>to figure out how to fix this. My settings are basically unchanged
>from an older Fedora 6 system. smtp-failure is full of entries like
>this:
>
>Jun 01 12:30:34 2009 (1059) delivery to user1 at gxxx.xx failed with code
>-1: please run connect() first
>Jun 01 12:30:34 2009 (1059) delivery to user2 at xxxxxxx.com failed with
>code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')

The first of the above two messages could be due to a bug in the Python
smtplib module (and no, Python 2.4.x doesn't fix it, that's for the
next thing). See <http://bugs.python.org/issue5713>. This may be the
reason for all your smtp-failure issues. If not, you can get more
information about these errors if your Python is 2.4.x or newer. See
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for how to do this.

In any case, it seems likely, both from your description and from the
smtp-failure log that postfix thinks your local users (or at least
many of them) are invalid.

>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain

I confess I am not at all sure about this, but I have

It may help to add an unqualified localhost to the list.

What does Postfix (maillog) say about the local addresses?