[Mailman-Users] gmail marks mailman confirmation mail as spam...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 14 17:12:54 CEST 2009

Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> On Friday 12 June 2009 19:45:25 you wrote:
>>
>> The one thing that might be different is the server I sent this from has
>>
>> VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
> I set in that way, but still its in spam folder... Strange, how could your
> message get into the inbox, do we have different configs, you've forgot about
> some "not spam" marking or what else?

There are various things that could be different. My server publishes
SPF records. That may make a difference. My server may have a better
reputation with Google/gmail than yours. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/4oA9>. This is something you'll have to pursue
with Google/gmail.

> And there is one more thing bothering me: look there:
> http://www.trikata.com/pipermail/test/2009-June/thread.html
> same word "nogādāt" was posted in all of the cases, where those terrible
> characters appear! Maybe you know whats wrong?

The string "=?utf-8?q?_nog=C4=81d=C4=81t?=" is an RFC2047 encoding of
the string " nogādāt"

The actual raw header in your archive (at least for one of these)
contains three RFC 2047 encoded pieces. The first is
"=?utf-8?q?skatamies=2C_cik_ilgi_google_m=C4=93=C4=A3ina_=3D?=" and
decodes to "skatamies, cik ilgi google mēģina =". The second is
"=?utf-8?b?P3V0Zi04P3E/X25vZz1DND04MWQ9QzQ9ODF0Pz0sIGthZCBuZXZhci4u?="
and decodes to "?utf-8?q?_nog=C4=81d=C4=81t?=, kad nevar..". The last is
"=?utf-8?q?=2E?=" and decodes to "."

If I had to guess, I'd say that the original subject got mis-folded by
something and the initial "=" of "=?utf-8?q?_nog=C4=81d=C4=81t?=" got
separated from the rest by a line continuation, and then the remaining
"?utf-8?q?_nog=C4=81d=C4=81t?=" was treated as text rather than an
endoded string

The problem may be with the MUA that composed the mail or it may be with
Mailman's adding the subject_prefix. I think I'd need to see the raw
message as sent to the list to know for sure.