[Mailman-Users] Virtual domain not quite working on HTTP (but fine on SMTP)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 18 19:25:27 CEST 2009

Quoting Adam McGreggor (adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk):

> >   # cat /var/www/gazette/.htaccess
> >   redirect 301 /index.html
> >   http://lists.linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/
>
> that 404's for me: have you got the Mailman Apache stanzas set-up in
> lists.linuxgazette.net's vhost config? I've not had issues using
> ServerAlias directives, fwiw.

Um, that's not 404, you're being 301-redirected by the .htaccess file
to a URL that _is_ 404 on account of Mailman not providing the virthost
there.  Here, let's temporarily disable the .htaccess file, and see:

# cd /var/www/gazette/
linuxmafia:/var/www/gazette# mv .htaccess .htaccess-save
linuxmafia:/var/www/gazette# touch HELLO-WORLD

You'll please note that http://lists.linuxgazette.net/ (and
http://lists.linuxgazette.net/HELLO-WORLD ) are not, in fact, 404.

But anyway, since you ask, here's the relevant excerpt from the Apache
config:

<VirtualHost lists.linuxgazette.net:80>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/gazette
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /var/www/gazette/>
    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

> I would not touch that. Even with the travesty that is Pkg-exim4, I
> still use something along the lines (pretty much) of that per
>     <http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html>

You know, that is very likely what I did in the prior incarnation of my
machine, and I'd certainly consider doing it again -- but being very
careful, because this is a production system.  I'm glad to go with
anything that works:  Trying first what the package maintainers and Debian
people recommend seemed worthwhile.  In any event, the current setup is
just one small problem (http on the virthost) away from 100% success, so
maybe it can be debugged.

Also, since Exim-Mailman integration is working fine, and it's Mailman's
virthost communication with Apache that's broken, I'm not sure switching
to the admittedly far more elegant approach of
http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html would address my current problem.

> You may need a 'clear' clause before the line below: search the
> archives of this list for discussions/thoughts/advice thereto.
>
> >   VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'lists.linuxgazette.net':'lists.linuxgazette.net'}
> [...]

Thanks.  I'll try that.

(After restarting qrunning:)  Nope.  That didn't do it.

> >   MTA = 'Postfix'
>
> I'd change that, as you're using Exim.

I don't believe that's really right.  The keyword "Postfix" in that
context just means "use Postfix-style domain semantics", which are not
in any way Postfix-specific but are just a particular way of dealing
with aliases, if I understand correctly.