[Mailman-Users] Detecting Autoresponders

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Jun 29 15:10:26 CEST 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 6:34 PM, Karl Zander wrote:

> Is there something specific Mailman is looking for to detect
> autoreponders, like Out of Office messages?  We had an incident this
> weekend with an autoresponder sending an out of office message over
> and over and over....to a list.
>
> This particular autoresponder is not known to be broken.  Its worked
> well in the past with Mailman.

If it's replying to message with a Precedence: header (and any value)
it's broken.

> I note the header of the message from the autoresponder contains

Can anybody find a reference for the semantics of X-Autogenerated?
I'd be willing to add a rule for this but I'd need to find a reference.

Note too my Replybot program <http://launchpad.net/replybot> for an
automatic email reply system done right. :)

-Barry