[Mailman-Users] New crontab query: senddigests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 4 19:28:28 CET 2009

Savoy, Jim wrote:

>Ran it by cron. I don't see any activity at all when it runs (when I ran
>the checkdbs program, python lead the way when I did a "top", but
>nothing
>seems to happen when I run senddigests).

Try

su mailman
cron/senddigests

It probably won't be any different, but it's worth a try. If it does
nothing, what is the contents of the cron/senddigests script. There
appears to be something wrong with it. You could compare it to
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/annotate/419/cron/senddigests>
to see if you have any modifications.

>There was also no output sent to the mailman mailing list (I am the
>owner
>and only subscriber on that list, and it accepts mail from anyone).
>
>Nothing in the Mailman logs either.
>
>>Note: it is a good idea to put a MAILTO= at the beginning of Mailman's
>crontab to direct any mailed output to a good place. There is normally
>only mailed output if something goes wrong.
>
>Can you give me the exact syntax of that Mark? I am not sure what you
>mean
>or how I would do that. I did a man on "cron" but don't see anything
>there
>about MAILTO. Thanks.

You can set environment variables in a crontab via

VARIABLE = value

(whitespace around "=" is optional). See "man 5 crontab". By default,
cron mails any output to the 'owner' of the crontab, but if you set
MAILTO, e.g.

MAILTO=user at example.com

or

MAILTO=localuser