[Mailman-Users] mmarch mbox-splitting weird...
mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 16 18:12:47 CET 2009
IEM - network operating center (IOhannes m zmoelnig) wrote:
>i fixed my hacks, but in order to get the archives right i ran
>"mmarch --wipe ...", and found myself suprised that this did not produce
>the desired results: the new archives seemed to contain some more emails
>than the original ones, all of them having "No subject" and appearing in
>the current archive directory.
>it turned out that these new emails where parts of old emails.
>the problem seems to be within the parsing of the mbox file: at some (to
>me) arbitrary points, Mailbox.py would decide that the mail has finished
>and start a new one; since the new one had no proper header, it ended up
>as "No subject" (and no author information).
This is a well known issue. If a message body contains a line beginning
with "From ", bin/arch takes that as a message separator. Very old
Mailman didn't escape the From lines in the body.
You need to first clean your .mbox files with Mailman's bin/cleanarch
or some other process to escape the "From " lines that aren't message
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
More information about the Mailman-Users