[Mailman-Users] weird archive "thread" view

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 16 20:50:33 CET 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> IEM - network operating center (IOhannes m zmoelnig) wrote:
>>
>>a user of one of my mailinglists noted that the thread-view of my
>>mailing-list archives has become weird in the last months: basically new
>>threads are sometimes subthreads of unrelated threads.
>>while there is always the chance, that users will just hijack a thread,
>>i am pretty sure that this did not happen in various other cases (i
>>looked at the headers of the mails coming in through the list, and they
>>did not refer to any other mails)
>

> Look at the messages in archives/private/pd-list.mbox/pd-list.mbox. The
> archives are threaded by message-id in References: and/or In-Reply-To:
>
> If messages are threaded without one of those headers referencing a
> prior message in the thread, then there is a problem with pipermail,
> but if the header is there, it is a problem with the user or the
> user's MUA.

I wasn't sure, but I see that the References: and In-Reply-To: headers
are kept in the periodic .txt files so I looked at
<http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-03.txt> and I see
that as you say, there are messages that don't have any References: or

However, I have not seen this elsewhere with 2.1.9 or 2.1.11. Do you
suppose it could be related to your date hack?