[Mailman-Users] How to gzip archives?

Daniel.Li lida_mail at 163.com
Fri Mar 20 01:00:35 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:19 -0500, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 03/19/09 11:00, Taylor, Grant wrote:
> > However I would question if the reclaimed space is worth the effort as
> > you will be putting extra load on your server(s) and given the costs of
> > drive space these days...
>
> I guess if you use a compression mechanism that HTTP supports (I think
> GZip is one) *AND* the client supports it you /may/ be able to send the
> compressed contents to the end user and have their user agent decompress
> the contents.  However all of these things have to be in place for this
> bandwidth savings to happen and if it doesn't, there is the added load
> on the processor.

Yeah, cause bandwidth is limited to 1Mbit/s.

And as u said, it is worth to add load on processor. I'm NOT sure how to
estimate how much bandwidth can be freed from this option.

My case:
1) I don't have many mail list users right now.
2) main bandwidth is occupied by FTP/http/Git,CVS repositoy.
3) There are 5 laptop, accessing internet with this router.

Any suggestion on this gzip option? Should I use this option right now?

Daniel.Li <lida_mail at 163.com>
PALFocus (http://palfocus.oicp.net)