[Mailman-Users] How to gzip archives?

Daniel.Li lida_mail at 163.com
Fri Mar 20 01:07:20 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 09:21 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Are you running Mailman's cron jobs? The suggested crontab contains
>
> # At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
> # turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
> # GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
> 27 3 * * * /usr/bin/python
> -S /cygdrive/f/test-mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
>

> Or, with extra overhead, you can set
>
> GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES = Yes
>
> in mm_cfg.py to gzip the .txt file after every post.
>
> Note however that either of these is a waste, at least the way Mailman
> does it. Mailman keeps both the .txt and the .txt.gz files so if you
> gzip the .txt files, you actually use more space than if you just keep
> the .txt files. The only potential savings is bandwidth when a user
> retrieves the .txt.gz file, but this is minimal and in some cases, the
> web server will expand the file before serving it anyway.

Hmm... I have mailed another mail which gives my scenario. I paster here
FYI.

As Grant Taylor said, there is a leverage. And from above explanation, I
have to figure out how much bandwidth we could save if we have large
list users.
Let take 1000 user for example, how can I estimate the bandwidth I
saved?

--
Daniel.Li <lida_mail at 163.com>
PALFocus (http://palfocus.oicp.net)