[Mailman-Users] alternative to setgid

Renee soundwreck at gmail.com
Fri May 1 00:28:07 CEST 2009

I've set up a new mailman installation on a new Solaris 10 server.  I am
attempting to share out the mailman directory via NFS to another Solaris 10
server running apache for web maintenance purposes.  Theoretically, this
should work, but I'm getting the dreaded "setuid execution not allowed"
error on my web server when I try to go to /mailman/listinfo or
/mailman/admin.  I have determined that mailman is being NFS mounted on the
web server with the nosuid option and I can't for the life of me figure out
how to make it mount with the suid option set..

So.. I'm wondering if there is a way around the whole setgid permission deal
with mailman?  I am not sure I really understand why it needs to be setgid
and what would be the consequences of doing something alternative?  And, if
I were to remove the setgid bits, how would I set the permissions
appropriately for both best security and accessibility?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts about the NFS problem, I'd appreciate the
input.  I feel like I'm overlooking something simple as I have another NFS
server that exports suid no problem, but I can't see the differences between
the way the two servers are set up.

Thanks, Renee