[Mailman-Users] Can't Delete List Member

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 11 22:39:29 CEST 2009

Dave Bevis wrote:

>I have tried everything I know to do including deleting just the
>member, cloning the member and removing all the members from the list
>and I cannot remove this member and it causes any messages to this
>list to be shunted. Info below when I tried removing member from the
>web based interface.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See below.

>IBug in Mailman version 2.1.4
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a
>copy of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description
>of what happened. Thanks!
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>     main()
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 198, in main
>     show_results(mlist, doc, category, subcat, cgidata)
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 498, in
>     form.AddItem(membership_options(mlist, subcat, cgidata, doc, form))
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 974, in
>     names = filter(None, [mlist.getMemberName(s) for s in members])
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line
>131, in getMemberName
>     self.__assertIsMember(member)
>   File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line
>113, in __assertIsMember
>     raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
>NotAMemberError: hpeoples at mail.HamiltonTN.gov

The problem is that a bug which has subsequently been fixed has allowed
a user's email address to be stored with a lower-case local part and a
mixed case domain. This confuses Mailman's membership tests.

See the end of the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/UIA9> which will
point you to a script that will fix this.