[Mailman-Users] Will Mailman inform a sender of a bouncedmessage that it was approved?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 28 17:43:25 CEST 2009

Adam McGreggor wrote:

>On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:35:49PM -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> on 5/26/09 4:23 PM, Jane Frizzell said:
>>
>> >Is there a feature in Mail Man that would notify the sender of a
>> >message, when it bounces for moderation, to be informed when it is
>> >cleared by the moderator?  This person is not a member of the list so
>> >could not tell if it is eventually delivered.
>>
>> The standard version of Mailman can be configured to inform the sender
>> that their message is being held for moderation, but there is no method
>> I know of to configure it to notify the sender when the message has been
>> released.
>
>My view is that if people are posting to the list, they should
>subscribe to the list.

It's not often that simple. Sometimes people will cross post or Cc: non
list members, and then a non-member replies to all including your list.

What I do on lists I moderate is I never approve non-member posts, but
sometimes, if a post is relevant, I will forward the message from the
"held message" notice to the list. I may edit the forwarded message.
If I think it is important that the sender know her message went to
the list, I Cc: her on the forward, and depending on circumstances, I
may add a Reply-To: to the sender.