[Mailman-Users] Errors on mailman startup

Dave Filchak submit at zuka.net
Fri May 29 22:41:35 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Dave Filchak wrote:
>

>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>> Did you actually do the test described in the post at
>>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044976.html>
>>> (linked from the FAQ) as the Mailman user?
>>>

>> Yes. This test was fine.
>>
>>> Did you actually try to send mail as described in the post at
>>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044746.html>
>>> (linked from the FAQ) as the Mailman user?
>>>

>> This worked as well although, as I mention below, I am not logged in a
>> mailman as mailman has no login shell and no password. Do I need to
>> create one for mailman and try it again?
>>
>>> If you did those as the Mailman user and they didn't show any error,
>>> then I can't explain why it fails when OutgoingRunner does the exact
>>> same thing.
>>>

>> Did not do them as the mailman user but as another user (not root). User
>> mailman has no login shell (/sbin/nologin) Should mailman need a login
>> shell and passwd? It never has before and mailman was working. Again,
>> there was a UPS failure at my ISP and the servers lost power abruptly so
>> something might have happened then. But everything else is working,
>> including regular mail.
>>

> No. Mailman doesn't need a login shell or a password. You should be
> able to do, e.g.
>
> sudo -u mailman /bin/bash
>
> in order to get a command shell running as mailman or
>
> sudo -u mailman python
>
> to get a python interpreter.
>
> It seems there is a permissions issue somewhere that is preventing
> mailman from accessing something. Make sure /etc/hosts and
> /etc/resolve.conf are world readable. If that isn't it, try to narrow
> it down by running the tests as mailman using sudo as above.

OK .. ran both tests as mailman. First one was fine. Second one, while
it shown no errors initially, I only received the email that was sent as
a rcpt (secondary email address). The To: email address did not get
delivered. The smtp-failure logs do not show a specific error for that
email transaction but it still shows a ton of the same errors, i.e.:

May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
not known'), msgid: <mailman.1.1243617046.6486.someone at domain.net>
May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) delivery to someone at domain.org failed with
code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

Both /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts are world readable. I am truly stumped.

Dave