[Mailman-Users] regexp help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 3 00:53:08 CET 2009

Savoy, Jim wrote:

>>You used some kind of word processor to create foo.py that concatenated
>lines 2 and 3 into a single line. Your Foo.py file must be just like
>my original example with lines 1, 2 and 3 at the left margin, lines 4
>and 6 indented 4 spaces and lines 5, 7, 8 and 9 indented 8 spaces.
>
>These words you are saying are all true. I just "cut" your code in
>Outlook and "pasted" it in vi. I will try it again with the indenting
>you suggested (reminds me of Fortran!). Thanks.

Depending on the options set in vi, it can do horrible things to
indentation when you paste things in :(

Python is not at all like Fortran, In Fortran (at least through Fortran
IV - I never did much with Fortran 77 and nothing beyond that) white
space except for line endings is totally insignificant. True, you have
some formatting restrictions like positions 1 - 5 for statement
numbers, 6 for continuation and 7 - 72 for statements (although some
compilers relaxed these), but consider that the compiler's
parser/tokenizer doesn't know whether

      do 5 i = 1, 10

is a do loop or an assignment to a variable named do5i until it gets to
the comma.

In Python, whitespace is of utmost significance. You either love it or
hate it, but block structure is based entirely on indentation.