[Mailman-Users] Feature request: Emergency Broadcast

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sun Nov 22 15:49:41 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:55:31AM -0800, Bill Catambay wrote:
> Given my current situation (as rare as this situation may be), I have
> come to realize that an emergency broadcast feature would be an
> indispensable tool to have right now.  Since my host made the alias
> change on my mailing list, but did not create the MX record for the
> new email, it is currently impossible to post to our mailing list via
> email.

Fall back to A record(s)?

> I can't even tell people why the list isn't working.

*spit* if you feel you must, and can access the web-interface, why not
pull a list of subscribers, and blindly mail all of them.

> With an emergency broadcast feature on the website (a way to send a
> message to the list using the Mailman mailing list admin page), I
> could at least get word to everyone that the mailing list will be
> down until Monday.

Although if there are no DNS records for the list, MTAs will
probably reject your pseudo-list mail as part of their checks: so
whilst the mail may send, it won't necessarily be received.

I'd think using competent service providers, with prompt fix-times
would be more useful.

--
``Any person who knowingly causes a nuclear weapon test explosion
  or any other nuclear explosion is guilty of an offence....''