[Mailman-Users] Feature request: Emergency Broadcast

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Nov 23 11:32:25 CET 2009

Bill Catambay writes:

 > 1. Mailman aliases not working (like in my case)
 > 2. Unable to access my email, but have access to web (which is common
 > for those of us behind corporate firewalls)
 > 3. My email is broken, but my internet it still working
 >
 > However, even with these reasons, I wouldn't consider it a big deal,
 > especially if it's difficult to implement.  After my list is working
 > again, I'll probably forget all about it.  :)

Note that I didn't deny use cases, I said it would be hard to
implement usefully.  For example, in the case that the mailman aliases
aren't working, people *will* reply: "when do you expect it back up?"
Because the mail system is currently not working, these will come
through in a batch when things are fixed.  What do to about them,
especially since they're completely useless in this scenario?  There
is also the issue of what to put in From, and things like that.  Will
there be one-size-fits-all solution, or will the emergency poster have
to set them appropriately?  In the latter case, are there traps that
the poster should avoid?  Do the appropriate settings depend on other
list settings (eg, reply-to munging)?