[Mailman-Users] basic set-up question regarding gnu mailman

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Wed Oct 21 23:26:35 CEST 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Thomas Reale wrote:

> I am about to begin the installation process for gnu mailman.  I'm
> learning some Python for this very purpose, but I seem to be getting
> hung up on some of the jargon, and I believe I might be intuitively
> inept at a starting point.  I have two questions:

You don't really need to know any Python in order to use Mailman.  I know
some Python but I've never had to look at any of the sources...oh except
once but I was wanting to do something which wasn't officially supported.

> 1)  Does the installation need to occur on an always-turned-on computer?

Well...I suppose it doesn't *really*, but it's a good idea.  If you have
the list on a machine that's not always on, users will have to wait till
it comes up again before they can receive messages and these will
inevitably arrive in clumps, plus anyone wanting to perform list
administration will not be able to when the machine is switched off.

> 2)  Will others be able to manage the list remotely via the web (I
> know that I can access any other Linux-based machine remotely)?

Yes, if you want them to.  It's expected that most list administration
will occur using the web interface.

Geoff.