[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman with Multi Mail Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 23 19:04:45 CEST 2009

Hien HUYNH HUU wrote:

>   That's exactly what I need , could you please tell me more what can I modify on SMTPDirect.py file ?

If I were doing this, I would modify the Connection class constructor
to accept host and port arguments and use them in the __connect()
method instead of mm_cfg.SMTPHOST and mm_cfg.SMTPPORT. Then I would
modify the

    conn = Connection()
    try:
[...]
    finally:
        conn.quit()
        msgdata['recips'] = origrecips

code in process to instantiate multiple connections to multiple
servers. Maybe make mm_cfg.SMTPHOST and mm_cfg.SMTPPORT lists, and
instantiate one connection for each host/port pair. Then round-robbin
through the connections in the deliveryfunc() call in the while loop.

If the above is not clear, you have to learn Python until it becomes
clear.

Your effort would probably be better spent either learning how to tune
your existing MTA to be more performant or installing a more
performant MTA. In an earlier post, you mentioned delivering 10,000
messages in 10 minutes (a rate of 16.7 messages per second) as an
acceptable rate. On my server using Postfix essentially out-of-the-box
and full Mailman VERP, Mailman delivers on the order of 50 messages
per second to Postfix.