[Mailman-Users] Test mesages

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Thu Sep 10 22:53:43 CEST 2009

On 8-Sep-2009, at 09:18, Malcolm Austen wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:51:24 +0100, LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>> Is there some way to send a test message to a list that is only
>> sent back to me instead of sending it out to the entire distribution?
>>
>> Sometimes I want to examine the logs live when a message comes in,
>> but I don't want to keep spamming all the users with "test, pls.
>> ignore" sorts of subjects.
>
> I configure my lists to trap the words 'test', 'help', 'spam',
> 'virus', and 'digest' in the subject lines.
>
> I have a spam filter rule ... ^subject:.*\btest.* ... that should
> deal with your need.

The trouble with this suggestion (and others) is that all it does is
stop the messages once it gets to the list. What I want to see is the
'full loop' of the message as I send it, and as it gets sent back to me.

As an example, I was checking on a list that hadn't seen any traffic
in a few months, and I sent a test message

Subject: Test, please ignore
Body: don't reply to this, it's just a test.

That generated *FIFTEEN* replies all acknowledging receipt of the test.

Obviously, not a techie list, but still. So I was thinking it would be
nice if I could send a message to the list and get the message back,
but only to me and not distributed to the other subscribers.

Or maybe there's something else I should do? Basically, I wanted to
tail -f /var/log/maillog and watch the message come in and get sent to
ensure the list was working properly.

--
Exit, pursued by a bear.