[Mailman-Users] Problem with our mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 11 18:12:24 CEST 2009

Joe Finocchiaro wrote:

>The problem: How do we prevent people other than the administrator from
>posting to the list?  We created a new list today and everyone keeps posting
>to it... We don't want that option. We use this list as a one way
>communication piece.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9> for advice on setting up a
one way list.

Also, If you have access to the underlying server, You can use
Mailman's bin/config_list to save the configuration of a list once it
is properly set up and then the same tool can be used to apply those
settings to a new list in the future.

The first step to prevent members from posting is to set Privacy
options... -> Sender filters -> default_member_moderation to Yes and
then under Membership Management... -> Membership List ->
Additional Member Tasks, "Set everyone's moderation bit, including
those members not currently visible" to On.

There are other things you want to do that are covered in the FAQ.

Also, If this is your own Mailman installation and most or all lists
will be one way, you can set

DEFAULT_DEFAULT_MEMBER_MODERATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py, and then new lists will be created with
default_member_moderation set to Yes.