[Mailman-Users] Subscriber can no longer send to a list she is a member of

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Sep 17 22:21:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 02:44:08PM -0500, Chris Barnes wrote:
> Which tells me:
> * the problem is not the mailman list
> * the problem is not the mail server

I'd not rule either of those out, or things like MUA or user(s).

> She is not in the "blocked users" section of the Sender filters

> I have poured through the log files and can't find ANYTHING.

> Where would I begin looking to try to determine why this user can't send
> messages to the list?

Presumably, you're meaning the Mailman logs, and those of your MTA.

I'd be looking for the messages sent which *did* get through, and how
they got through, and then comparing with the messages that didn't. I
can't remember (or particularly care) how Postfix logs, but
presumably, there's a reject log, as well as a delivery one.

Having established the mail to MTA, I'd look and see if the message
    (a) destined to Mailman
    (b) routed to Mailman
    (c) lost in the ether (which could e.g., be due to anti-spam/malware)

It may be worth looking at the user's FCC items: to check where she's
sending to.

Another thing could be to simulate sending the message.

Other things to consider, the appropriate headers that are being sent
(particularly, say From:, Sender: &c) and check those match the

I'd be asking the user "have you changed anything in your mail-app?".

> System: Debian Linux.  Postfix.  Mailman v (ok - how do I find my mm
> version?)

A variety of ways:
    if you installed through apt/packages "dpkg -l | grep mailman"
for starters.

``What the bloody hell is the point of 24-hour rolling news
  if it doesn't carry terrifying-lizard-related news?''
  (Anthony Wells, on learning from the web that `a giant
  lizard is terrorising Beirut')