[Mailman-Users] Subscriber can no longer send to a list she is a member of

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Sep 17 22:21:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 02:44:08PM -0500, Chris Barnes wrote:
> Which tells me:
> * the problem is not the mailman list
> * the problem is not the mail server

I'd not rule either of those out, or things like MUA or user(s).

> She is not in the "blocked users" section of the Sender filters

> I have poured through the log files and can't find ANYTHING.

> Where would I begin looking to try to determine why this user can't send
> messages to the list?

Presumably, you're meaning the Mailman logs, and those of your MTA.

I'd be looking for the messages sent which *did* get through, and how
they got through, and then comparing with the messages that didn't. I
can't remember (or particularly care) how Postfix logs, but
presumably, there's a reject log, as well as a delivery one.

Having established the mail to MTA, I'd look and see if the message
was:
    (a) destined to Mailman
    (b) routed to Mailman
    (c) lost in the ether (which could e.g., be due to anti-spam/malware)

It may be worth looking at the user's FCC items: to check where she's
sending to.

Another thing could be to simulate sending the message.

Other things to consider, the appropriate headers that are being sent
(particularly, say From:, Sender: &c) and check those match the
list-membership.

I'd be asking the user "have you changed anything in your mail-app?".

> System: Debian Linux.  Postfix.  Mailman v (ok - how do I find my mm
> version?)

A variety of ways:
    if you installed through apt/packages "dpkg -l | grep mailman"
    /path/to/mailman/Mailman/Version.py
    http://path/to/mailman/listinfo
for starters.

--
``What the bloody hell is the point of 24-hour rolling news
  if it doesn't carry terrifying-lizard-related news?''