[Mailman-Users] Messages being archived but suddenly stop being sent

Gaël Lams lamsgael at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:15:50 CEST 2010

Hi Mark,

For the answer.

Are there entries for the messages in Mailman's 'smtp' and 'post' logs?
> Presumably, there are not entries in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log
> since you say "I don't find any errors on neither the postfix nor the
> mailman logs"
>
> There are a few possibilities. The first that comes to mind is
> OutgoingRunner is not running and the messages are still queued in
> Mailman's out/ queue (this could be /usr/local/mailman/qfiles/out/,
> /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/out/. /var/spool/mailman/out/ or elsewhere
> depending on how Mailman was installed).

Actually the emails finally went out, it just takes them a few hours
(probably more last week) to be processed.  Regarding mailman's queue, I
still have to read the documentation to understand how it works because I
remember checking this queue but didn't see a lot of files. Is it that, if I
send an email to a list with 11000 members, only one file is created there?

As it seems now to be a tuning problem, I started having a look at the
mailman's wiki page  on performance tuning. Reference is made there to
QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME, QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME, and QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES. I
did a grep on my mailman's installation but did not find them (I've mailman
2.1.13).  Knowing that I host +/- 50 mailing lists, most of them small
(3'/40 users) but a few with between 2000 and 11700 users, I'm trying to
understand what I can do to improve the tuning.

I will also have a look later at postfix's configuration (I will anyway have
to do something there because both yahoo and hotmail are slowing us,
temporarily refusing the connection) but the fact is that these emails I was
waiting for were not in postfix's queue.

Kind regards,

Gaël