[Mailman-Users] The Dreaded Group Mismatch Error

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Apr 26 18:47:40 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 11:20 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
> $ export MM_USERNAME=nobody
>  $ export MM_GROUPNAME=nobody
>  $ export MM_USERID=65534
>  $ make install

If you're truly building "by hand" you're missing an essential step
here, maybe two.

Assuming you're cd'd to your build directory,

make clean
./configure  ...  --with-mail-gid=nobody ... etc.
make; make install

I'm not entirely sure of the difference between the --with-groupname and
--with-group-gid, both of which accept a name but have different
functions.  I do know that for my server distribution (gentoo Linux)
it's essential that the environment setting which controls the
--with-mail-gid configuration setting match the mail group which the MTA
runs as.

I've run into this problem often when I've upgraded Mailman and if I
forget to make this adjustment I get exactly the same error, and the fix
is the same every time.  In my case my MTA runs as group "mail" and
Mailman has to be configured thusly.

Lindsay Haisley       |  "Humor will get you through times of no humor
FMP Computer Services |      better than no humor will get you through
512-259-1190          |         times of humor."
http://www.fmp.com    |            - Butch Hancock