[Mailman-Users] mailman install problems (syntax error at line 1: `; ' unexpected)

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Fri Aug 6 16:32:44 CEST 2010

Thanks for the reply.  See below for the solution I found.

On 8/5/10 10:10 PM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, August 5, 2010 07:14, CJ Keist wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>       Trying to install mailman mailman-2.1.13rc on Solaris 10x86.
>> Getting an error when I try to do make install.  I found similar post on
>> this error on making sure using correct version of python.  I have two
>> version of python installed, there is the native python that comes with
>> Solaris, version 2.4.6, and then I installed a newer version from
>> Blastwave 2.6.2.  It doesn't matter what version I use, still get same
>> error with make install.
>>
>> setenv PATH
>> /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/sfw/bin
>>
> [SNIP]
>
> Don't do this stuff in csh, use sh or bash.

I did try running in both sh and bash but still got same error.
But I did get mailman to install.  The problem was with the Makefile in
the misc folder.

EMAILPKG=
JACODECSPKG=
KOCODECSPKG=

PACKAGES= $(EMAILPKG) $(JACODECSPKG) $(KOCODECSPKG)

There were no packages defined. Does this mean I didn't run configure
correctly?  I simply commented out the for p loop:

         #for p in $(PACKAGES); \
         #do \
             #gunzip -c $(srcdir)/$$p.tar.gz | (cd $(PKGDIR) ; tar xf -); \
             #(cd $(PKGDIR)/$$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=$(PYTHONLIBDIR)
$(PYTHON)
  $(SETUPCMD)); \
         #done

This got mailman installed and looks to be working okay.