[Mailman-Users] Do spam filters work on the owner address?

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Thu Aug 26 18:51:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've just started to help administer a mailing list which is receiving
spam to its owner address.

On my system in the Mailman aliases file, I see entries like this:

foo-owner:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner foo"

This of course means that owner Email has to pass through Mailman in order
to be delivered.

So what I want to know is, are anti-spam filters applied to such mail?

I don't have admin access to the machine that runs the list, though I know
people who do.  But the spam seems to be being addressed from the same
sorts of domains, so if I can see something that can be used as a spam
filter, I'd like to know if I can just add it to the list spam filters or
if I need to go bug the admin of the system to get it filtered up-stream.

Geoff.