[Mailman-Users] Mailman and htdig - issues after installing htdig

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 28 05:57:01 CEST 2010

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>I have been following this thread and had hoped to find a solution to my
>problem, but seems it's ended without the answer I expected:-)
>In my situation (several live lists), I get this error when I make a search
>for a word I am very sure is there:
>

><cut>
>htdig Archives Access Failure search failed -12-
[...]
>What could be the cause??

It means that the search form data were posted to the mmsearch wrapper
and then to the mmsearch.py script which in turn set up a 2-way pipe
to the htsearch command configured in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py as
HTDIG_HTSEARCH_PATH to actually perform the search, and htsearch
terminated normally (exit status = 0) but wrote no output to the pipe.

what happens if you run

  /path/to/htsearch \
    -c /path/to/archives/private/kictanet/htdig/kictanet.conf

It should prompt for "words" which is your search word, then output a
prompt for "format" (enter Short or Long), and finally output the html
result.