[Mailman-Users] Cannot set digest mode via URL

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Aug 28 17:32:15 CEST 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> I would love to have a better relationship with the cPanel Mailman
> folks, but I have none. They don't acknowledge me at all. Anything I
> know about cPanel Mailman internals is via code provided to me by 3rd
> parties.

I recently bought a MacOS X Server box with Snow Leopard pre-installed.  At least we will now have first-hand access to the changes that Apple has made, and we can see what it would take to have better integration there -- if we want it.

>> Please don't threaten to sue them! I want Mailman 3.0 and the only way I,m
>> going to get to use it is through cPanel.
>
> All we would ask is that they continue their past practice of
> identifying their modified Mailman as, e.g. 2.1.13-cp1 so that we know
> what we're dealing with.

I was thinking more of a Cease & Desist nastygram from the lawyers, myself.  If they're not shipping plain-jane real-deal 2.1.13 but are misidentifying what they are shipping as this version, then I'm pretty sure that would be construed to be a misrepresentation on their part, and would be actionable in court.

I'm tempted to use the FSF lawyers instead of seeing if we can go through PSF, since the FSF lawyers have recently had some fairly public successes, and they might be more inclined to help try to find all the ways in which we can go after them.

After that, we might think about whether or not we can, or should, go after Apple.  Both companies are shipping our code with extensive modifications, and so far as I know neither of them has released their changes, as required by the GNU license.