[Mailman-Users] Mailman - trouble creating a second list at an existing virtual host

Dean Suhr deansuhr at deansuhr.us
Wed Dec 1 00:28:13 CET 2010

<snipped>

On 11/29/10 6:28 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> It should happen automatically. I suspect it didn't in your case
> because of certain case-sensitivities which are really bugs. If you
> make all your domain names in mm_cfg.py, i.e. DEFAULT_URL_HOST,
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, additional domains in add_virtualhost() and
> domains in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, all lower case and use all
> lower case in -u options to newlist or fix_url. Everything should work.
>
> The underlying bug is that domains in add_virtualhost() directives are
> lower-cased by Mailman but are matched case-sensitively to
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS so if the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
> domains are mixed or upper case, they don't match.
>
> If you make everything lower case and run fix_url with a lower case -u
> domain and then run genaliases, you should be OK.
>
> Note that manually editing virtual-mailman is unsafe because if
> genaliases is ever run, your changes will be lost.

Thanks again Mark.

Yes, I contributed to the problem because I like to use MLDfamily (mixed
case) in the user viewable emails and tend to follow that behind the scenes.

Right now I have manually entered the aliases into virtual-mailman. You
indicated this could be a problem with the next run of genaliases.

The original list and the new one are both at lists.MLDfamily.org. (note
CAPS).

I ran genaliases and the list remained intact with entries updated in
virtual-mailman.  Should I stand down and assume my rickety path to
functionality will hold up - or should I delete the list and start over?

If I start over I would not want to upset the apple cart on the original
list at lists.MLDfamily.org so I would use that mixed case virtual host for
the re-creation of the new list.

I promise if I ever add any new virtual domains everything will be lower
case!

Thanks, Dean

--
Dean Suhr
President

1+503-656-4808  or 1-800-617-8387

Complete MLD information at: www.MLDfoundation.org

Celebrating our tenth year of serving families!

Please watch this awareness video and pass it along:
http://mldfoundation.org/awareness-video.html