[Mailman-Users] authors

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 9 23:36:01 CET 2010

Troy Knabe wrote:

>I have an administrator requesting a list of everyone who has sent an
>email to their list.  Is there any way to quickly obtain that information?
>This is a public list that lots of non-members send to.

 grep "From " $var_prefix/archives/private/$list.mbox/$list.mbox | \
 awk '{print $2}' | sort -u

where $var_prefix is the path to Mailman's archives/ directory and
$list is the list name.

This will get an unduplicated list of the envelope senders of all posts
that made it to the list.

Also, if you don't rotate Mailman's logs, you could get similar
information from the 'post' log.

If you want all senders of any message to the list regardless of
whether or not it was accepted, you'd need to get that from the MTA
log if it goes back far enough.