[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 13 07:22:55 CET 2010

JRC Groups wrote:

>On 12/12/10 8:59 AM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know. Please post the entire contents of your mm_cfg.py. The
>> above errors indicate that there is no add_virtualhost() for
>> www.domain.com, but this is not consistent with other things you
>> observe.
>
>Here it is:
>
># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'

As you note below, the above entries are not what you want.

>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['3wforum.com']

Is the '3wforum.com' domain what you refer to elsewhere as
'domain.com'. If so, the above is probably fine (although the cat is
now out of the bag). If not, then it probably should be.

>VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
>As I copied the contents to paste them here I noticed that I had made a
>mistake. On the last entry I had "VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW - Off" instead of
>"VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off". Once I corrected this entry I was able to
>have all lists displayed in the listinfo window.

Good.

>Now that I am able to view all lists displayed together in the same listinfo
>window I also noticed that the title to the listinfo page reads
>"dentserv.main.private Mailing Lists". In looking back at the mm_cfg.py file
>contents I noticed that something had been modified after I made the
>revisions you had suggested. The following entries were:
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'
>
>This is the name of my server and not the domain names as I had previously
>entered. So I proceeded to make the changes as you had previously suggested.
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.domain.com'
>
>After these changes I was finally able to have the lists displayed in the
>listinfo window. I also noticed that the title above now reads
>"www.domain.com Mailing Lists". The titles is the same independent of
>"domain.com/mailman/listinfo".

Yes, this is a result of "VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off" which in
addition to displaying all lists on the overview regardless of whether
the list's URL host matches the host in the URL accessing the page
also causes  DEFAULT_URL_HOST to be treated as the host.

>After that I also made an attempt to create a new list from the web
>interface using "www.domain.com/mailman/create" and this time it worked fine
>without any error messages.
>
>I am left with a question: Why were the two lines above changed from the
>domain names I had entered following your suggestion to the name of the
>server ? Do you think it has something to do with my server settings or do
>you think it may be related with Apple's implementation of Mailman ?

I think it must have something to do with Apple's implementation of
Mailman. I suspect it has something to do with Apple's list creation
process. There is nothing in standard GNU Mailman that would edit
mm_cfg.py behind your back, nor would any non-Mailman process do this.

Perhaps others on this list who are familiar with Apple Server could
shed more light on this.