[Mailman-Users] wrapper issue

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Feb 2 00:25:20 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 02:24:26PM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> The list-name in the message you sent me ends in -admin. This is the
> problem.

I came up with a work-around for this, once, but on a box I've since
decommissioned.

> Your Mailman router in Exim doesn't work with list names that end with
> '-admin' or probably any of the other suffixes '-bounces', '-confirm',
> '-join', '-leave', '-owner', '-request', '-subscribe' or
> '-unsubscribe'.

Indeed, that's the case with a router like that, below

> Does the router definition look like this:
>
> mailman_router:
>   driver = accept
>   domains = +mm_domains
>   require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>   local_part_suffix_optional
>   local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>                       -confirm : -confirm+* : \
>                       -join : -leave : \
>                       -subscribe : -unsubscribe : \
>                       -owner : -request : -admin
>   transport = mailman_transport

>From memory, I think 'my' workaround may have involved adding a
specific router to handle the suffices, when they appear in the
local_part.

It may have been something like:

    local_parts = foo-admin : baa-confim

It may be worth testing something along the lines of

    local_parts = \N^.*-(admin|bounces|confirm|join|leave|owner|request|subscribe|unsubscribe)$\N

It might be useful to limit the domains a bit more that
+mm_domains, with such a list.

(yes, that is untested -- see chapters 8 and 11 of the Exim spec).

However I did it, it was most in-elegant, and took advantage of
"the order of routers matters, in Exim".

Having got it working, I remember 'we' decided that that list was
surplus to our demands. Hohum.

> If so, i think you can just delete the " : -admin" from the next to
> last line as this suffix is a deprecated synonym for the -bounces
> address and isn't actually used in Mailman 2.1.x.

that's another (nice and easy) way ;)

--
``The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism
  by those who do not have it.'' (George Bernard Shaw)