[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.13 + vhost patches on multiple hosts

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 3 17:00:11 CET 2010

Guy wrote:

>Made a patch for Defaults.py.in that seems to have resolved that problem.

Do not ever patch Defaults.py. Override the settings in mm_cfg.py
instead. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/fIA9>

>I've now run into two other problems.
>
>1) The lists have their own vhost in apache lists.domain1.net with
>ServerAlias lines for the other domains.
>    http://lists.domain1.net/ gets this page:
>
>===
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.13
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
>traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
>but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
>===
>
>I've run check_perms and it reported no problems. There's nothing in
>the logs and no errors in the apache logs apart from a missing
>favicon.ico file. Any suggestions on what else I should be looking at?

If there's nothing in Mailman's error log, then something is pretty
screwed up. You can patch scripts/driver on the apache host and change
STEALTH_MODE = 1 to STEALTH_MODE = 0 to get the information on the
screen.

>2) I've created a list from command line with
>    newlist lists.domain2.net=test
>
>aliases in /var/lib/mailman/data/ was updated fine. I then ran
>genaliases and no virtual-mailman file was created. If I create the
>virtual-mailman file with the same permissions as aliases and run
>genaliases then virtual-mailman.db is created but virtual-mailman
>itself remains empty. Do I need to filling virtual-mailman myself or
>should genaliases be doing this? If genaliases should be doing it, any
>suggests on why it's not doing so?

UGSD has already responded to this. bin/newlist doesn't work
intuitively with the vhost patch. you need redundant detail

  newlist -u lists.domain2.net test at domain2.net