[Mailman-Users] Virtual host with "manual" MTA?

Tim Bingham binghamt at upstate.edu
Wed Feb 3 16:24:20 CET 2010

Greetings all,

First-time poster here. I have Mailman 2.1.5 that has been running
great for years on an older Solaris 8 server. I received a request to
create a list using a host name that's not the actual host name of
the server. Let's say the server is "lists.university.edu" and the
requested list name is "listname at lists.project.org".

I read up what I could find (and understand) about virtual hosts and
I was able to successfully create the list with the alternate host
name, configure Apache to have a virtual host pointed to the web
interface for that list, and I added a domain to our DNS and set up
the host name there. I can subscribe to the list and post to it using
the virtual host name, but email coming out from the list has the
real host name as the reply address.

Everything I've read mentions configuring Postfix for virtual hosts.
However, I'm not using Postfix - my Defaults.py has MTA = 'Manual'
and DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'.

Is there anything I can do to get the list to use the virtual host
name for a reply address on outgoing email without installing and
using Postfix? I have no experience with it and am trying to keep it
simple.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Tim