[Mailman-Users] moving mailman lists to new server, same domain name

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 2 01:40:25 CET 2010

Andrew Watson wrote:

>I am moving a number of lists to a new server.
>Eventually the new server will have the same domain name as the old, so I don't think I need to change urls.

OK.

>I have read the FAQs, and lots of emails on this list, and I think I know what to do, but would like to be sure I am not missing something.
>I have installed mailman 2.10 on the new server, and now plan to move the lists and archives.
>/.migrate contains copies of files from the old server on the new server.
>The commands I plan (on the new server) are as follows:
>
>cp -npvR /.migrate/usr/local/mailman/archives/ /usr/local/mailman/archives
>cp -npvR /.migrate/usr/local/mailman/lists/ /usr/local/mailman/lists
>
>Sound right?
>Is there anything else I need to do?

I'm not sure what flavor of cp you're using, but particularly when
copying the archives, you need to specify whatever will copy symlinks
as symlinks and not copy their targets (often -d).

Otherwise, it seems OK.

>Also, does it matter what I selected during installation for the mailman administrators email? (I accepted default: root at mydomain.com )

I don't know what this does. Presumably you are installing a package
and this is meaningful to the package. Perhaps it sets the owner of
the 'mailman'; site list.

The site list owner definitely needs to be a deliverable address that
someone reads. Also, mail to the site list itself from non-members
should be accepted and read by someone.