[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Jan 5 18:13:13 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:28:58AM -0800, Ryan Stasel wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2010, at 06:59 , Mark Sapiro wrote:
> > 2) something in the outgoing MTA to you path that used to deliver only
> > 1 of multiple messages with duplicate message-ids changed and is no
> > longer dropping dups.
> This looks like the case. It looks like Dovecot doesn't have any
> kind of duplicate suppression (at least, not that I can find

Dovecot is *not* an MTA.

q.v. <http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview>:
    "As an IMAP and POP3 server, Dovecot provides a way for mail-user
    agents [MUA] to access their mail. As such, Dovecot is NOT
    responsible for receiving mail from other servers. Dovecot
    presents mail already stored on the system to MUA's."

or, indeed,

(I thought the expression "Dovecot is not a[n] MTA" was *somewhere on
the dovecot wiki, I can't seem to find it.)

de-duplication should be handled by the MTA before passing it to an
IMAP/POP server

I'd go back to the MTA(s) (Exim, Postfix, Sendmail, &c) config, and see
what's going on there.

``The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one
  depends on the unreasonable man.'' (George Bernard Shaw)