[Mailman-Users] unsubscribing addresses from domain in one fell swoop?

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 06:59:44 CET 2010

We host over 600 lists and have about 250,000 subscribers. List owners have
been asking me about how particular subscribers were able to subscribe to
their lists. Well, in some cases, the list had open subscription. However,
in almost all cases, the subscribers were from zeusmail.org. I did a scan of
the subscribe logs and found over 800 subscribed addresses using
zeusmail.org domain. Interestingly, all subscriptions come from the same IP
address. Looking at the addresses, it is obvious that they are bogus, though
they are interesting and rather humorous names that when all are put
together, show a pattern of automated subscriptions. I checked the post logs
and found that none from that domain had posted.

So, I have done a couple of things. 1) blocked the ip at the firewall, 2)
created a Postfix filter to not allow that domain to be able to send through
the mail server, 3) added a robots.txt file to specifically block that
domain, and 4) unsubscribed all zeusmail.org subscribers using the script
Mark provided. It seems that zeusmail.org is a legitimate and
non-blacklisted domain, but it just reeks of spammers. If there is a problem
with the few that may be legitimate, they can easily be reinstated.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com