[Mailman-Users] List is too moderated. :-(

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 8 00:17:52 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:16:30 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:09:55AM +1100, John Fitzsimons wrote:
>
>>> How/where in the web interface do I set things up to block anyone
>>> subscribing themselves without my approval BUT once becoming
>>> a member to post without needing any further authorisation from me
>>> as administrator.
>
>>> Can someone here help me with this please ?
>
>>On 'normal' Mailman, the option is "default_member_moderation",
>>(Privacy -> Sender).
>
>Thank you.
[...]
>I have list membership set at "Require approval" but once someone has
>become a subscriber I want their emails to go to the list without my
>getting an email that says...
>
>As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
>following mailing list posting:
>
>    List:    xxxx
>    From:    xxxxxx
>    Subject: xxxxxxx
>    Reason:  Posting to a moderated newsgroup
>
>At your convenience, visit:.....
>
>Does anyone here know how to let subscribers post without getting that
>notice please ? Using CPanel.

As Adam said, go to the list's web admin interface Privacy options...
-> Sender filters and set default_member_moderation to No so future
new members won't be moderated by default.

Then go to Membership Management -> Membership List, scroll down to
Additional Member Tasks and under "Set everyone's moderation bit,
including those members not currently visible" select Off and press Set

These changes have nothing to do with subscribe_policy for which you
apparently do want require approval.

It appears though that the reason that your list's posts are held is
"Posting to a moderated newsgroup". This is because on the admin
Mail<->News gateways page, you have gateway_to_news = Yes and
news_moderation set to Moderated. Is this what you mean by "moderated"
below?

>I am beginning to think that my setting the list to "moderated" means
>that even subscribers are moderated. That isn't what I wanted.

If this is the setting on the Mail<->News gateways page, those all have
to do with gatewaying to/from a usenet group via NNTP. I suspect you
are not really doing that in which case both gateway_to_news and
gateway_to_mail should be set to No.

>If I set the list to un-moderated then will non members be able to
>post ? If non members will NOT be able to post then where on
>CPanel can I change things to un-moderated please ?

Non-member posting is controlled by Privacy options... -> Sender
filters *_these_nonmembers and generic_nonmember_action.