[Mailman-Users] List is too moderated. :-(

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Fri Jan 8 00:54:09 CET 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:17:52 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

< snip >

>As Adam said, go to the list's web admin interface Privacy options...
>-> Sender filters and set default_member_moderation to No so future
>new members won't be moderated by default.

Done.

>Then go to Membership Management -> Membership List, scroll down to
>Additional Member Tasks and under "Set everyone's moderation bit,
>including those members not currently visible" select Off and press Set

>These changes have nothing to do with subscribe_policy for which you
>apparently do want require approval.

Yes, thank you for making things clearer.

>It appears though that the reason that your list's posts are held is
>"Posting to a moderated newsgroup". This is because on the admin
>Mail<->News gateways page, you have gateway_to_news = Yes and
>news_moderation set to Moderated. Is this what you mean by "moderated"
>below?

Actually I thought that "moderated" meant that one had to be an
"approved" subscriber.

>>I am beginning to think that my setting the list to "moderated" means
>>that even subscribers are moderated. That isn't what I wanted.

>If this is the setting on the Mail<->News gateways page, those all have
>to do with gatewaying to/from a usenet group via NNTP. I suspect you
>are not really doing that in which case both gateway_to_news and
>gateway_to_mail should be set to No.

Well, actually I am porting to/from a news server. Gmane.

< snip >

I had set "The moderation policy of the newsgroup" to "moderated".
Thank you. This may be where my problem is. If I now set that to
"none" then do you, or anyone else here, know whether posts will
go to the newsgroup by non Mailman members ?

Thanks again everyone. You have all been a big help to make things
clearer for me.

Regards, John.