[Mailman-Users] List is too moderated. :-(

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Fri Jan 8 01:44:31 CET 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:27:39 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

>>Well, actually I am porting to/from a news server. Gmane.

>>< snip >

>>I had set "The moderation policy of the newsgroup" to "moderated".
>>Thank you. This may be where my problem is. If I now set that to
>>"none" then do you, or anyone else here, know whether posts will
>>go to the newsgroup by non Mailman members ?

>No post will be gated to the newsgroup from the list that is not
>accepted by the list.

Okay, that is the list > newsgroup direction.

>Please read the page linked from Mail<->News gateways -> (Details for
>news_moderation) for a fuller description of these settings. Among
>other things you will see

> If the newsgroup is moderated, you can set this mailing list up to be
> the moderation address for the newsgroup. By selecting Moderated, an
> additional posting hold will be placed in the approval process. All
> messages posted to the mailing list will have to be approved before
> being sent on to the newsgroup, or to the mailing list membership.

>This is apparently what you set, but not what you want. I think you
>want None which means that any post accepted by the list will also be
>forwarded to the newsgroup, but without adding an Approved: header.

Yes, that direction is what I want.

>In any event, non-member posts to the list will be dealt with according
>to *_these_nonmembers and generic_nonmember_action, and if they aren't
>accepted for the list, they will not be forwarded to the newsgroup.

My question however was in regards to the other direction. I was
hoping someone here may know how things work the other way.

Would someone who wasn't a member of the list be able to post via
Gmane NNTP ? If they could then the news post would presumably
be forwarded to the list ? Avoiding "authentication" barriers.

Regards, John.