[Mailman-Users] Adding "subscribed" address in Welcome message ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 15 03:25:07 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons writes:

 > I was thinking of the situation of re-direction. One could "subscribe"
 > with eg. fred at work.com and have emails from that account re-directed
 > to fred at home.com .

The "To" address doesn't get changed by any such service that I know
of.

Still, it's a real problem, since some MUAs will display a nickname
for addresses in the contact list, and users don't necessarily connect
to "oh I can look it up in the contact list".  After all, it's "to
me", and I know who I am. :-)

 > Even if only after they leave work. I wanted their subscription
 > address to be more "in their face" so that it would reduce
 > confusion as to which email address they were subscribed with.

Hm.  You should look at personalizing list delivery, which would allow
you to insert a similar notice to the user's options page as a footer
(or header) of the post.  This may not be allowed by your host (it can
increase the bandwidth used to deliver posts by a factor of 100 or
more, although realistically a factor between 1 and 5 seems most
likely), and you might not like it either (it will take a similar
factor more time to deliver your posts).  One last problem is that
footers (and headers) don't mix well with HTML email.

The notice that mailman-users adds is this: