[Mailman-Users] host.domain.tld vs. domain.tld

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Sat Jan 16 06:44:12 CET 2010

On 1/15/10 7:33 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> David Newman wrote:
>> After migrating to new hardware, Mailman lists are working OK using the
>> form <listname>@mail.domain.tld, but mail sent to <listname>@domain.tld
>> bounces with an "User unknown in virtual mailbox table" error.
>>
>> This is a problem since some users expect <listname>@domain.tld to work.
>> So, I'm looking for help in getting either of these forms working:
>>
>> <listname>@mail.domain.tld
>> <listname>@domain.tld
>>
>> This error is odd in that the form <listname>@domain.tld worked on the
>> old server and I am using the exact same postfix and Mailman config
>> files as well as the same MySQL databases.
>

> My guess is that on the old server, domain.tld was in Postfix's
> mydestination so that address at domain.tld was a local address and only
> referred to alias_maps and not virtual_alias_maps, whereas on the new
> server domain.tld is a virtual_mailbox_domain, thus postfix is looking
> in virtual_mailbox_maps for address at domain.tld and not finding it..

Curiouser and curiouser.

First, thanks, this provided a clue for a fix.

Second, both old and new servers used the same postfix main.cf and
master.cf files. Both main.cf files had this line:

which shouldn't have worked since (1) $mydomain wasn't defined anywhere
and (2) domain.tld wasn't invoked and (3) mail never was addressed to
localhost.$mydomain.

On the new server I changed this to:

mydomain = domain.tld
mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain, localhost

and now list mail goes to either <listname>@mail.domain.tld or
<listname>domain.tld, as desired.

Puzzling, but thanks again.

dn