[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Wed Jan 20 04:36:52 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:57:33 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>John Fitzsimons writes:

< snip >

> > I shouldn't have got that second email, or had my newsgroup post
> > forwarded to the newsgroup.

> > Can anyone here suggest where the problem may be please ?

>List membership is easy to spoof anyway.  The only way to control
>traffic to your list is to moderate it.

> > As well as to suggest a way to fix it please ?

>Moderate the GMane subscription.

< snip >

Does anyone here know what actually goes to Mailman from Gmane ?

(1) Is it simply an email, with Gmane as the sender ? With no mention
of the newsgroup poster in any of the headers ?

OR

(2) Is there anything contained in any of the headers from Gmane that
refers to the newsgroup poster ?

I know some of you unix guys are pretty smart. Has anyone been able to
see/grep these headers to see what they say please ?

The reason I ask is because couldn't I potentially block all posts
from Gmane ? Then in my Privacy options - accept_these_nonmembers
add the names of "authorised" subscribers ?

The "accept_these_nonmembers" in CPanel appears to allow regexp
filtering so the subscriber info could be anywhere in the "address".

[Also what exactly is the "address" Mailman is talking about here ?
The From: line ? Or all the headers ?]

Any comments on any/all of the above appreciated.

Regards, John.