[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Jan 20 07:47:09 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:
> I have also contributed to public, and private, newsgroup servers for
> more than ten years now. However, I am not a unix expert and I do
> not have root access to a unix server.

Incidentally, if the problem is just one of access to a unix machine,
the Systers group had a really nice little set up where they had a linux
virtual machine, running mailman, set up to run in virtualbox.  That
meant we could do testing on all the laptops: mac/windows/solaris/etc.

I totally understand if you don't have time to learn all this stuff, but
if you're willing to learn, you can install virtualbox
(http://www.virtualbox.org/), get a linux vm (or install one yourself --
I usually recommend Ubuntu for a quick and easy install), and install
Mailman.  It's a bit time consuming, but it's not actually as hard as
instructions make it sound, generally speaking.

There may be some instructions or links to the vms we were using here
(or elsewhere in the systers wiki):

http://systers.org/systers-soc/doku.php/getting_started

With all your testing experience, it'd be totally awesome if you could
grab the new mailman 3 alpha and test that!  And at worst, if you don't
manage to get it running, you're still testing the instructions and
that's still totally useful. :)

  Terri