[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Thu Jan 21 01:35:19 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:31:06 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Mark,

< snip >

>>>I think you can see a full, raw message from Gmane if your list has
>>>archives. For a cPanel list xyz at example.com, you would go to
>>>http://example.com/mailman/private/xyz_example.com.mbox/xyz_example.com.mbox

>>>This requires authentication for the private archive (even if the
>>>list's archive is public), but at least in standard Mailman the
>>>equivalent URL will return the entire raw archive mailbox.

I have no idea how close to "standard Mailman" my system is. It is a
hosted system. IIRC I added the mailing list via CPanel.

>>>There, you should be able to find posts from Gmane and see all the
>>>headers.

>>When I look at the archives I don't see the header info. Which,
>>normally I would be quite happy about. Anything that helps keep things
>>more "private" the better.

>Did you actually go to a URL for your archive based on the template
>above? If you did, what happened. If you didn't, then do it.

I went to the list info page where it says...

To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the xxxxxxx
Archives.

The address was...

Though I don't see that directory when I FTP to my site.

If I try your address I think it would translate to..

I then get..

xxxxxxmailinglist Private Archives Authentication

Then...

Private archive file not found

>>So now, here is my next question.

>>If I setup the Gmane address for "moderation" and then put the
>>subscriber's address in under....

>>"List of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically
>>accepted."

>>Would that help to plug the Gmane "hole" ? In other words restrict
>>posting from Gmane to only those who are listed as subscribers ?

>>Can anyone here answer that question and/or express a view on the
>>possibility of this approach working please ?

>It is complicated as I indicated in my original reply. It would help if
>You went to an archive URL based on the template I gave and actually
>found a message.

I have no difficulty finding a message in my archive. It is finding
header info that is the problem.

>But, the answer to your exact question is No. In your scenario, the
>post will presumably be 'from' the Gmane address so it will be hels as
>a post from a moderated member. *_these_nonmembers only applies to
>non-member posts.

>Now, you could make all those authorized posters members of your list
>(perhaps with no mail delivery and no password reminders), and that
>would work if the posts are From: them. Then I think you could
>moderate the Gmane address, and if it's  the envelope sender, and/or
>Sender:, the member address in From: will take priority and determine
>what is done with the post.

Yes, I "think" you are confirming what I am thinking of trying out. To
block ("moderate") everything from Gmane and then add all my
subscribers in the....

"List of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically
accepted."

So, this list would actually be working as a form of "White List".

Regards, John.