[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 21 08:38:23 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons writes:

 > Well, has anyone here with a Gmane newsgroup deleted the Gmane email
 > subscription and seen whether Mailman's Mail<->News gateway sends
 > messages in both directions okay ?

Gmane runs a news server, but that is not how it gateways mailing
lists.  Mailman's Mail<->News gateway is irrelevant unless you or your
ISP has configured it; Gmane can't do that for you.

The gateway Mailman -> Gmane is the Gmane subscription.  If you remove
that Gmane users cannot read posts to your mailing list.  The gateway
Gmane -> Mailman is plain old email same as for any member or spammer.

The only control you have is to use Mailman filters on incoming posts.
Until somebody tells us what headers Gmane provides to identify
itself, we can only guess at what might work.