[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 21 16:28:57 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons writes:
 > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:38:23 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > >John Fitzsimons writes:
 >
 > Hi Stephen,
 >
 > < snip >
 >
 > >Gmane runs a news server, but that is not how it gateways mailing
 > >lists.  Mailman's Mail<->News gateway is irrelevant unless you or your
 > >ISP has configured it; Gmane can't do that for you.
 >
 > Well, I configured it. Thinking that it needed to be set. Doesn't that
 > setting do anything ? Or does it only work with some news servers and
 > not others ? How does one know which news server that works with and
 > which news server it doesn't work with ?

I don't know about cPanel, but this is what a vanilla Mailman provides
as options for the news<->mail gateway:

1. The hostname of the machine your news server is running on.     [       ]
2. The name of the Usenet group to gateway to and/or from.         [       ]
3. Should new posts to the mailing list be sent to the newsgroup?  No    Yes
4. Should new posts to the newsgroup be sent to the mailing list?  No    Yes
5. Forwarding options                                              [       ]
6. The moderation policy of the newsgroup.                         [       ]

AFAIK the gateway service of Gmane is *not* accessible from most
Usenet hosts; you need to go directly to Gmane for that.  So unless
the you configured Gmane as the news server (question 1) and a
specific newsgroup to gateway your list to (question 2), nothing will
happen.  Since you don't have a newsgroup as far as I know, there's
nowhere for mailman to gateway to.

Note that question 6 is the policy of the newsgroup, *not* your list.
No help there.

 > >The gateway Mailman -> Gmane is the Gmane subscription.  If you remove
 > >that Gmane users cannot read posts to your mailing list.  The gateway
 > >Gmane -> Mailman is plain old email same as for any member or spammer.
 >
 > >The only control you have is to use Mailman filters on incoming posts.
 >
 > Could you please explain that a little ? In principle how would
 > filters help ? Wouldn't all posts from Gmane have the same added
 > headers ? Those that are from legitimate posters and those that
 > aren't ?

Yes.  What you're missing is that Gmane won't spoof other members, so
if another member is there in From, Sender or envelope sender, you
pass it.  (In practice, the only one that your users are likely to be
able to set, or have set appropriately by their ISP, is From.)  If
it's just Gmane, you don't.  *If* Gmane is in the Sender header, then
you don't need to do anything special, because From is checked first.
Just moderate Gmane, and warn your members that they need to post