[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 21 16:30:42 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:38:23 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>>Gmane runs a news server, but that is not how it gateways mailing
>>lists.  Mailman's Mail<->News gateway is irrelevant unless you or your
>>ISP has configured it; Gmane can't do that for you.
>
>Well, I configured it. Thinking that it needed to be set. Doesn't that
>setting do anything ? Or does it only work with some news servers and
>not others ? How does one know which news server that works with and
>which news server it doesn't work with ?

Please tell us specifically what your Mailman List's Mail<->News
gateways settings are?

In particular, if your Gmane posts are arriving at Mailman via
Mailman's News->Mail Gateway (gateway_to_mail = Yes), Mailman is going
to accept everything that comes via that path except for those posts
which it sent via gateway_to_news.

On the other hand, if the Gmane posts are arriving by mail, as I
understand your requirement, you can't do any filtering on Gmane
headers because you do not want to either accept, hold or rejece ALL
posts from Gmane. You want to accept without holding, those and only
those posts which are From: certain addresses. As I have said before
in this thread, as long as the Gmane posts are considered to be from a
member, the way to do this is to make the acceptable From: addresses
members too.

[...]
>Well, looking for "gmane" headers on a post gives me something like...

>I have no idea how any of that could help filter out posts that aren't
>from legitimate subscribers.  :-(

That seems to indicate a message from NNTP