[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sat Jan 23 01:06:13 CET 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:12:46 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

< snip >

>>If I did that then I could presumably start the list again. Identical
>>to the previous list. But with archiving turned "off" from the
>>beginning ?

>The drawback is all user options/passwords/etc. get lost.

Yes, the loss of user options I can live with BUT the loss of
passwords would be a concern. In this case the Gmane subscription.
If I un subscribed them, then re-subscribed them, wouldn't I need to
get an email response from them to complete their re-subscription ?
Or is there some way, using CPanel, to subscribe someone without
needing to wait for any response from them ?

Also, talking about passwords. Is there any way, as systems
administrator, to know member passwords using CPanel ?

>You can use
>something like Jim T's and my mailman-subscribers.py script[1] to
>screen scrape the web admin Membership List and make a .csv file of
>the membership together with those options except language that are on
>the Membership List pages,

Thanks, I am using windows. Not too keen on trying to get scripts to
work on a windows display. Though, after your comments, I might take
a look at a windows scraper I have. Though that is intended for edit
boxes.

>but restoring them is tedious. OTOH, if you
>don't care about preserving these, you can just mass subscribe the
>list and you're done.

Sorry, I am not with you there. What do you mean by "mass subscribe
the list" ?

>[1] <http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/mailman-subscribers.py> or
><http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/mailman-subscribers.py>.
>This script runs on your workstation and requires Python be installed
>there.

Okay. Thank you.

Bye the way, talking about scripting. I just heard about a program
that might interest you/other coders here.

Highlight converts source code to formatted text with syntax
highlighting.
    * Coloured output in HTML, XHTML, RTF, TeX, LaTeX, SVG, BBCode and
XML format
    * Supports 150+ programming languages
    * Includes 40 colour themes
    * Recognizes nested languages